Thursday, October 2, 2008

Welcome to Jennymac knits!

Hello fellow knitters! I know you are out there somewhere; I can't be the only person in my city who still knits. I'll be looking for you. There are some really great knitting blogs out there right now that you may be interested in. They will be linked to my blog in the near future so that you can access them easily.



My grandmother taught me the basics of knitting when I was very young, 5 or 6 years old maybe, and ever since I've loved the feel of yarn between my fingers, the smell of wool and the sound of needles clicking together. Every now and then I take a hiatus from knitting but I always come back to it, especially now that I have such a large stash of yarn that my husband has pleaded to me not to buy another skein until I've used up at least half of what I have.



Since I was little I have been creating my own patterns. I didn't know how to follow patterns for the longest time but I knew how to knit, how to purl, how to knit 2 together, cast on and cast off. Did I ever make a lot of clothes for my Barbies! They had the nicest little knit ballgowns! Eventually I learned how to follow patterns and how to knit on 4 needles. My mother taught me how to knit socks and mittens; my parents ended up with so many pairs of wool socks after that. I knit a pair of socks for my husband and that's when he knew that I was the one for him. The first sweater I ever knit was for him.

One day I was looking for some knitting patterns online however most of what I found were old patterns that looked so old-fashioned that I would never wear the finished product in a million years. I was not easily discouraged and I kept looking. One day I came across a picture of a Siamese cat wearing a funny little knit hat. It was so funny that I read further and discovered that this was a knitting blog written in the perspective of the cat. How ingenious!!!! I wanted to find the pattern for that hat but there wasn't one however there were links to other knitting blogs. Hours went by and I was still reading through all of these wonderful lives involving knitting. I found one-of-a-kind patterns and a whole new world!!

I've been knitting up a storm and just finished a really pretty cardigan sweater for my sister-in-law. I wanted to make something that was modern and a bit more stylish so I found a really neat pattern at the local yarn shop. It was a knit down cardigan which I've never done before. After a small mishap with wrong sized needles I finally finished it and as I speak it is drying flat on the table.

Knitting is no longer for old ladies people! There are some really chic knitting patterns on the Vogue Knitting website and lots of new techniques to create felted bags and more. I finished knitting a bag and I am about to do the felting process tonight. I've never done this before so it should be interesting.

Soon I will add all the knitting links and a few more that I find interesting in case you would like to browse around. Happy knitting!!!

1 comment:

kokopuff said...

Hello and welcome to blogland! I'm honoured to have given you some reading pleasure and maybe the odd laugh or two (even if it is at my expense!!!).

I look forward to seeing some of your knitting.

PS. Are you on Ravelry? My Rav id is kokopuff...

Koko