Thursday, October 23, 2008

Casts Off - a must read!

Yesterday my SIL and I were wandering around downtown on our lunch break when we happened to stop into the best independent bookstore in the city. We were browsing through the vast selection of books when my heart began to flutter with excitement. I couldn't believe my eyes! It was a Yarn Harlot book!!!!! Could this really be true? Could there really be a Yarn Harlot book sitting right there in front of me in my little city? This was unbelievable!!

And there is was with a halo of light and angels singing on high - "Casts Off - The Yarn Harlot's Guide to the Land of Knitting" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.

I took the book off the shelf and felt the vibrations that can only happen when a book chooses you. I cracked open the cover and was immediately taken by the clever words and humour. This book had to be part of my collection, I had to buy it. As soon as I got back to work I began reading little bits here and there between clients (I work with the government so reading for fun on the job is frowned upon). The book has little letters, definitions and facts that amuse knitters.

Although I've only gotten through the first dozen pages I am hooked. I am counting down the minutes until I can open the book again and read through the world of knitting with the Yarn Harlot. It reminds me a lot of Erma Bombeck but with much better subject matter.

Here's the write up on the back of the book (beware, you too may be sucked in):

Knitting's Yarn Harlot, with her wry humour and unapologetic, obsessive love for everything about this remarkable place, invites you to join her on a hilarious tour of the land, its people, customs, and culture. She tells it all - from unusual geographical features such as the giant stash to common ailments you may be susceptible to, like Yarnesia, Finish-It-Upitis, and the dreaded Second Sock Syndrome. Along the way, you may get lost in Stitches or engrossed by the beauties of Lace, but, whatever happens, it's sure to be the journey of a lifetime.

I've got my yarn and needles packed and I'm ready to go. Wanna join me?

1 comment:

MRC said...

Hey Jennymac!
I came across your blog through cosmicpluto.com. I'm from NB too, and feel like I'm a lonely knitter here in Woodstock. Even some of my friends think it's a crazy hobby. What do they know anyway!?
Where abouts in NB do you live...maybe we could get a stitch n bitch going sometime.
Cheers, Meredith